Reservations and directions: contact info at wisteriaways.org **PREFERRED**
Add your contact information to our e-mail list to be notified of future events.
Therianthrope with special guest
Saturday March 1, 8 pm 2014
Flamenco, Balkan, Indian Classical, Jazz, Persian and Pop
- Therianthrope is the musical duo of nylon string guitarist, Dusty Brough, and tabla artist, Miles Shrewsbery. Immediately following their first meeting in 2011 they knew they had to keep making music together; the improvisations, rhythms, and sensibilities were too fresh and exciting to let rest. The music of Therianthrope is inspired from their diverse backgrounds in Flamenco, Balkan, Indian Classical, Jazz, Persian and Pop, to name just a few. They unabashedly break down genre barriers while reinterpreting the sounds of today's jazz and other traditional music. Their debut concert was at the Loft in San Diego, CA, where they opened for Charlie Hunter and Scott Amendola on December 5th, 2013. Their first album will be released in early 2014 through Avaaz Records.
- Guitarist Dusty Brough brilliantly combines his roots in Flamenco with Jazz, Folk, Brazilian, Gypsy and Balkan music. As a composer, he integrates these eclectic influences with his unique approach to music and a "blatant disregard for genre boxes" (Joe Bendel, Epoch Times). Brough's nylon-string guitar playing is marked by an unparalleled agile technique that supports a buoyant aesthetic. Dusty creates something truly remarkable by seamlessly blending lush harmonies, intricate rhythms and improvisation, with a fluidity, presence, and rhythm that can only be compared to the rolling waves of the ocean.
Dusty has been regarded internationally by touring with original projects such as Jesse Cook and Hans York. His release "Sharon by the Sea" (Adventure Music, 2009) with mandolin virtuoso Eva Scow, was met with great acclaim.....
- "A captivating blend of genres, part folk, part jazz, part Latin, part gypsy, and wholly individual when you put it all together" (CD Universe).
- "Dazzling harmonies, intricately woven sonic textures all recorded with tightly disciplined focus, make this CD instantly likable, inexhaustibly absorbing, even after the 7th spin... ground-breaking" (Jazzmando.com)
- For the March 1st concert, Theriantrope is joined by special guest, Rebecca Kleinmann
- Rebecca Kleinmann is an acclaimed flutist, singer, composer and teacher with a career marked by diversity and improvisation. A musical chameleon, Rebecca has toured world-wide performing Jazz, Brazilian music, Tango and Flamenco, and other styles. Rebecca produced her own first album "Raio de Sol" in 2005 with Grammy awarded artists. Now living in Oakland, CA, Rebecca leads and supports several groups: including Sereas do Pife Forro Band, Kata-Vento Brazilian Ensemble, La Ruya Flamenco-Turkish Fusion, and various Flamenco, Brazilian, Indie and Jazz projects. She also currently hosts a weekly Sunday series "Brazil and Beyond" in San Francisco at Bissap Baobab and teaches music to children.
- Currently based in San Diego, Dusty enjoys a full schedule of performing, recording, touring, and surfing. His performances and recordings consistently delight audiences and musicians alike.
- Theriantrope's first album will be released in early 2014 through Avaaz Records.
back to top