Reservations and directions: contact info at wisteriaways.org **PREFERRED**
Add your contact information to our e-mail list to be notified of future events.
Hat Check Girl
Sunday April 3rd at 3pm, 2011 Inside concert
Iconic & Eclectic Singersongwriters!
- Hat Check Girl, the new collaboration between veteran songwriters Annie Gallup and Peter Gallway, is pleased to announce their debut recording, Tenderness. The album’s 13 new songs, mostly Gallup/Gallway cowrites, showcase the band’s literate songwriting, spooky ambiance, and hypnotic delivery. Annie sings and plays electric guitar and lap steel. Peter is featured on vocals, electric guitars, baritone guitar, bass, keyboards, drum programming and percussion. The songs evoke an urban landscape, longing, connection, restlessness and resolution, set against a sonic backdrop of looping beats and gorgeous guitars. The effect has been described as an intelligent, evocative and sensual slow motion dance record.
- About Annie: lifetime’s dedication to her art has made Annie Gallup an icon among people who take songwriting seriously. Unabashedly imaginative and sensual, her elaborate song-length works of fiction crackle with wordplay and pulse with insistent rhythm. Borrowing forms from ancient folk tales to modern poetry, Annie sings over her bluesy guitar figures as if sharing secrets. Not many songwriters take the kinds of risks that Annie does, and barely any can pull them off with such deft, startling mastery.
- About Peter: "Stylistically, it's hard to classify singer/songwriter Peter Gallway; his music veers from sort-of-folk to sort-of-jazz-pop to sort-of-lots-of-other-things, including a blue collar observational lyrical style inspired by Raymond Carver." - Stereo Review
- Annie has performed throughout North America since 1994, including appearances at Winnipeg, Ottawa, Summerfolk and Stan Rogers Folk Festivals and Vancouver Island Music Fest in Canada, as well as concert venues coast to coast, including New York’s fabled Bottom Line. Annie has led songwriting workshops from Whitehorse in the Yukon to the Swannanoa Gathering in Asheville, North Carolina. She was heard on NPR’s All Things Considered in an interview with Noah Adams. Her eighth album, Weather (2010) is a collection of songs arranged for voice and string quartet.
- Peter Gallway emerged from the Greenwich Village scene of the 60’s and had released three albums on Warner/Reprise by the time he was twenty-five. He subsequently put out a dozen more recordings on various independent labels. As a producer he’s been involved in over fifty albums and special projects including the Grammy nominated Bleecker Street: Greenwich Village in the ‘60s (Chrissie Hynde, Jonatha Brooke), and Time and Love: The Music of Laura Nyro (Suzanne Vega, Jane Siberry), as well as, recordings for singer-songwriters Laura Nyro, Cliff Eberhardt, and Louise Taylor. Peter’s extensive touring has taken him throughout the U.S., Canada, and Japan. In 2009 he released Manhattan Nocturne, a collection of songs arranged for jazz ensemble that chronicle coming of age in Greenwich Village.
- Annie Gallup’s new CD, Weather, 12 songs for voice and string quartet, recorded in New York City last April, is scheduled for release on Waterbug Records 10/19/10 and is available now at www.waterbug.com.