Reservations and directions: contact info at wisteriaways.org **PREFERRED**
Add your contact information to our e-mail list to be notified of future events.
Stephanie Bettman & Luke Halpin
Saturday, November 6 at 8pm 2010
Original folk/bluegrass/Americana music
- We are Stephanie Bettman and Luke Halpin, and together we create original folk/bluegrass/Americana music. Our shows are uplifting and energetic. And our songs range from up tempo bluegrass to groovy jazzy acoustic pop to heart wrenching ballads with a focus on memorable lyrics, stunning musicianship, and beautiful vocal harmonies
- Stephanie Bettman might be considered a triple threat. An accomplished writer, she infuses her music with wit and wisdom, exploring many facets of the human heart. Stephanie’s songs are sometimes sad, sometimes sassy, but always spellbinding. As a vocalist, she moves effortlessly from her up-tempo bluegrass originals (featuring her fiery fiddling), to a soothing honey-sweet ballad, to a rousing passionate anthem. While her first-rate fiddling combines elements of bluegrass and jazz, in her essence there is tribute to such masters as Stephane Grappelli, Byron Berline, and Johnny Gimble. One thing’s for sure, if Stephanie Bettman is on the bill, you are in for an unforgettable performance that will have you hooked from the first fiddle line to the last sweet harmony.
- Currently touring with Stephanie is multi-instrumentalist Luke Halpin, who is equally adept on mandolin, fiddle and guitar. Inspired by the likes of Sam Bush, Tony Rice, and Mark O’Connor, Luke’s perfectly blended harmonies and his instrumental expertise together with Stephanie’s artistry and performance make for a dynamic experience audiences are discovering from coast to coast. Luke was formerly a member of the band Fanny Grace. With them, he worked all over the country opening for such musical heavyweights as Merle Haggard, Lone Star and The Steve Miller Band. His instrumentals have received national television placements, and now in concert with Stephanie, Luke has the opportunity to share some of his original songs as well. Together, Stephanie Bettman & Luke Halpin have been regulars at some of LA’s best listening rooms including The Coffee Gallery Backstage, as well as the California Traditional Music Society’s concert series, and BASC’s annual Taste Of Folk Festival and monthly concert series.
- Her debut CD “Get Close To Me” received national radio play while reaching the top ten in the Folk DJ chart, and her interpretation of Deford Bailey’s rare gem “Evening Prayer Blues” was the sixth most played song of the month. DJ Eddie O’Strange in Lower Hutt, New Zealand writes: “How can such a classy performer go wrong with quality moments channeling Emmylou? My album of the week … without question.”
Stephanie’s songwriting talent, instrumental prowess and artistry have been recognized in various Regional and National competitions, including:
• Grand Prize Winners in the 2008 So Cal Live Acoustic Music Competition.
• Winners in the 2007 Topanga Banjo / Fiddle contest.
• Folk Works Top Ten Los Angeles based female singer-songwriters of 2008.
• Music Connection’s Top Twenty-Five New Music Critiques of 2008.
Stephanie Bettman & Luke Halpin