Reservations and directions: contact info at wisteriaways.org **PREFERRED**
Add your contact information to our e-mail list to be notified of future events.
Ellen Robinson with The Don't Wait Too Long Band
Saturday June 11th at 3pm, Outside concert
Jazz singing at it's best
- Join Ellen and her band for this special concert. Come early to socialize with friends & family. Bring chairs, food and whatever else will make this afternoon a festive event.
- Ellen Robinson (vocals) --
Jazz singer, composer, bandleader and choral director Ellen Robinson started her career as a singer-songwriter in New York City and shifted to jazz after coming to the Bay Area in the 80's. An inventive singer, Ellen Robinson is always full of surprises: her repertoire ranges from jazz to folk to pop, from swinging, sparkling up-tempo rhythms to the hushed intensity of sensitive ballads. It's the work of an artist with a clear, heartfelt vision and a lovely voice that lingers in the ear long after the music has finished.
- Ellen Robinson knows how to connect with an audience, "she just lets it fly, and what happens is a lovely melodic parade." All About Jazz
- Celebrated for her expertise in telling a story with warmth and vulnerability, DownBeat Magazine awarded 3½ stars to her latest CD "Don't Wait Too Long." This show will feature her Don't Wait Too Long Band: pianist Murray Low, bass player John Schifflett; reed player Kristen Strom and drummer David Rokeach
- Also a gifted educator, Ellen teaches at the California Jazz Conservatory in Berkeley and the Community Music Center in San Francisco. She directs several vocal programs and ensembles, including Musical Theater at Stagebridge and the Anything Goes Chorus, a community chorus performing since the early 1980s. In 2011 Ellen was recognized with a prestigious Jefferson Award for her musical service to the Bay Area.
Check out this link for sample tunes....
- Murray Low (piano)
Murray was nominated for 2008 Pianist of the Year by the Latin Jazz Corner. He received a Grammy nomination for Best Latin Jazz Album and nominated for Piano Player of the Year from Latin Jazz Corner. He currently teaches Jazz Piano and Ensemble performance at Stanford University.
- Kristen Strom (sax)
Kristen has performed with Manhattan Transfer, Johnny Mathis and Natalie Cole, among many others. She one of the finest contemporary sax players having recorded with many top jazz artists, in addition to leading her own quintet and being part of the international jazz group Crossing Borders. Kristen is saxophone and jazz combo instructor at Santa Clara University and is on the faculty of the Stanford Jazz Workshop.
- John Schifflet (bass)
John has performed with Mel Torme, Madeline Peyroux, Kurt Elling and Boz Scaggs and performed in a variety of settings ranging from radio and TV jingles to jazz, country and pop recordings. He is currently an instructor at San Jose State University, teaching bass, small ensembles, and Jazz History.
- David Rokeach (drums)
Versatile in all musical styles, David has played with Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Alison Brown and Ernestine Anderson to name just a few of the singers he has worked with. David currently teaches at Stanford University and has also been a regular faculty member at the Rhythmic Concepts Jazz Camp West.
back to top